Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Home Made Laundry Soap

On my quest to live a healthier, greener life I started making my own laundry soap. I researched & tried several various recipes. This recipe quickly became my favorite since the items are easy to locate at my local grocery store or using my Amazon Prime account. Plus, tt is extremely fast & easy. Believe me if it wasn't I wouldn't continue to do it. I started out making liquid soap but that just was messier (transferring it to bottles & required more planning) so I just began using it all as a powder. Which I love & it looks so pretty in a HUGE Glass cookie jar in my laundry room. 

By my calculations, I am saving over half on my laundry bill by switching! This recipe works out to be about $0.10 to $0.11 per load of laundry. This saves me about $0.15 per load using Tide.
All the ingredients needed

 Here's the laundry soap recipe I use, I apologize for not giving credit where its due:


1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent aisle

1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking aisle

1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent aisle

3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap, found in the detergent aisle

2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent aisle.
(this is optional, I add it into mine because I have pretty athletic kids & pets so the cleaner the better!)

Start out by grating Fels-Naptha soap just like cheese. I use a food processor since hand grating doesn't get it as fine as I like and I have a HE washer. Combine all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket (I got mine with a lid for free at the local grocery store bakery I just had to clean it really well).

Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load. I have HE front load wash machine.

I also use Purex laundry crystals instead of dryer sheets...doesn't cause softener build up on my towels & still gives me a great scent.

You should be able to find all of these items at your grocery store. Or if you have Amazon Prime you can get all the items there as well.
 
 
 If you prefer Liquid soap:
 Grate Fels-Naptha with cheese grater or food processor.
Put grated soap in pan with 2 quarts water & gradually heat, stirring constantly until soap is completely dissolved.
Put 4.5 gallons of really hot tap water in a 5-gallon bucket & stir in 1 cup each of borax & washing soda until completely dissolved.
Pour soap mixture from pan into 5-gallon bucket. Stir well.
Cover & leave overnight. 
Shake or stir until smooth Then pour into gallon jugs or other containers. This does become thick.
Use 1/2 to 1 cup per load.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment