It has been a challenge but lucky for us we haven't had to "sacrifice" too much!
I knew that our challenge would be Starbuck's, hubby's eating out for lunch & allowing my kids to walk to the neighborhood Mom & Pop store for a treat.
I typically meal plan & buy groceries every two weeks. My youngest daughter, who is fourteen & I normally make a day of grocery shopping & errands. Starbuck's is always on the list. It was hard to say "NO" but we remained strong & resisted the temptation.
Hubby did go to Carl's Jr for lunch one afternoon. $9 spent. He deemed it necessary since I failed to remind him the challenge was underway & he didn't have a lunch with him. Okay, I will give him that one.
We decided (lucky for me) that Diet Coke was a necessity as long as it was purchased & factored into the grocery budget. Luckily, I did! Made me slightly stingier with those that I had. I will be honest, I noted each can hubby drank this week!
The kids have been great at making their own tea to drink each day. They have stayed out of the local Mom & Pop until today....
I needed the secret ingredient for my sister-in-laws delicious cookies & luckily I had $12 cash in my wallet.
After a few questions from the kids (is it necessary, should we just skip our baking day or the secret ingredient?) we all agreed that they could each have a can of sweet tea & purchase the secret ingredient. I am not above bribery & this is where this actually falls. $7.20 spent.
That means we have spent $16.20
We will do better in the next coming weeks.
Now for those Scrumptious cookies:
|Cookies & Tea for ME !|
Aunt Amy's Double Chip Cookies:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter at room temperature (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups crushed potato chips ( I prefer those with ridges) YES I said Potato chips! This really makes a delicious cookie!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (we have used semi-sweet or dark chocolate...today it was a combo of both)
- *optional* chopped nuts (today we used sliced almonds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper ( I use Pampered Chef Stoneware cookie sheets)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugars & butter together until the mixture is smooth. Then beat in the eggs & vanilla.
- Mix the flour & baking soda together in a separate bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture until well incorporated.
- Fold in the crushed potato chips & chocolate chips.
- Drop 1
1/2 tablespoonful of dough onto baking sheet. Don't crowd these cookies will spread! (I use a Pampered Chef cookie scoop)
Pampered Chef Cookie Scoop
Ready for the oven
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack and let cool. (or NOT!)
|A few actually made it into the cookie jar|